State Policies to Prevent Obesity
Strong state policies play a key role in improving access to healthy food and increasing physical activity, which are essential for helping children grow up at a healthy weight.
- Tredters Accemt, Zapato Bajo de Metedera womenes, Punta Cerrada
- Womens Office Fashion Point Flats Black Leather Flats
- Adidas Indoor Court Stabil Junior Red shoes Trainers - BY2836
- Boho Women's Mid Calf Tassel Suede Leather Flat Heels Hidden Wedge Pull On Boots
- Converse 70s High Top - Parchment Triple White Size 10
- Fashion Women Platform Wedge Heels Block Heels shoes Platform Floral
- Indigo Rd. Mandi Ausschnitt Sandalen,
- Leon Max Women Beige Genuine Snake Upper High Heel Ankle Strap Sandals Size 10 M
- MIA Lexxa Flat Olive Women's Sandal Size 8 New
- Nike Air Max Typha Mens Training shoes 820198- 002 Size 9
- Nunn Bush Men's Strafford Woven Slip-On Loafer
- Rossellini Azzurra Men'S shoes bluee Faux Suede Lace Up Pointed Casual shoes
- Stivali stivaletti bassi shoes stiletto 12 cm black eleganti simil pelle 9489
- Vince Camuto Rebeka Sandales Plates, black
- Crocs Men's Modi Sport Slide Sandal - Choose SZ color
- 70 MTNG Mustang Womens 58392 Pointed Toe Pump shoes, Fluorin whiteo, 39 EU 8 US
- BILL BLASS MEGAN SLIDES SANDALS - MIXED DENIM - 8.5 - NEW IN BOX
- Crocs Men's Santa Cruz II Luxe Slub Slip-On Loafer - Choose SZ color
- H By Hudson Adler Leather Black Mens Elastic Chelsea Ankle shoes Boots 9 43
- Lucky Brand Women Flats shoes Copper US 9M 39
- NEW Garolini Made in Black Satin Formal Pump with silver Leaf Size 8N 110
- Propet TravelWalker II Walking shoes - Tan - Womens
- Sexy Cute bluee Open Cutout Platform Ankle Strap Sandals Slides shoes Adult Women
- Unlisted By Kenneth Cole Mens auf der Uhr Oxford
- Women Propet Wash & Wear Pro Slip-on leather shoes casual sz 9 1 2 color beige
- 2019 Spring New Women Sweet Fashion Mesh Ankle Boots Zip PU Leather Single shoes
- Block Tan Heels From Office Size. 3. Brand New.
- JASON POLAN WINK EMBROIDERED ESPRADRILLES UK 3 EU 36 LN30 35 SALEs
- HIGH HEELS BOOTS STIEFELETTEN DAMENSCHUHE DESIGNER NEU Gr 41 grey multi 6472
- Kathy Van Zeeland New Womens Gia Black Stretch Black Boots shoes 5.5 Medium
- Schutz Marlize Black Leather Gladiator Sandals With Studded gold Embellishment
- Callisto Highlighter sin Cordones Alpargatas 939 , whiteo, 5Us
- Steve Madden Womans 6.5 Ankle Boots Booties Black Suede Studded Platform PeepToe
- New Balance 990 Running shoes M990GL4 Men's 13 D Made in USA
- Over Knee boots Dancing Riding Slimming ladies party Stiletto Heel shoes UK 1-13
- Fila Men's Torranado Basketball shoes Black Black Black
- The FLEXX Women's Slimmer Dakar WP Leather Black Boots Bootie Sz 11 M 150
- Women’s “FINN COMFORT TAN PATENT LEATHER Adjustable Triple Strap Size 9 EUC
- Outdoor Women warm Round Toe Lace Up Buckle Wedge Heel casual Ankle Boots
- Brand New Mens Converse All Stars bluee shoes Size 11.5 UK Euro 46 - Free P & P
- shoes KRONOS Homme BIANCO PU,Tissu KR813201-01
- F10586- Ladies Anne Michelle Strappy Heels With Faux Fur- Great Price
- Ladies Bowknots Cross Buckle Strap Mary Janes Lolita Pumps Block Heels New shoes
- Mens Brown Leather & Navy Nubuck Deck shoes
- Mocassini alti ALEXANDER NICOLETTE tg 39 pelle brown Made in
- Pumps für Frauen ferse Wedge 14cm Nummer von 40 bis 46 mit Riemen HSM GER
- SEBAGO Cordovan Burgundy Patent Leather PENNY LOAFER Dress Men shoes Sz 8 W b13
- USED OPTIK STIEFEL DAMENSCHUHE DESIGNER NEU Gr 38 grey 5245
- Women Rivets Ankel Boots Round Toe Med Block Heel Lace up Collegiate Casualshoes
- ZARA MAN EMBROIDERED SNEAKERS SHOES SLIP-ON BLACK 39-45 REF.5227 302
- Bnwb Clarks Grey Leather shoes Boot Cube Heel Size 7
- COLE HAAN womens size 8.5 B Brown woven leather oxford shoes F8835 Minimal Wear
- Fashion High Slim Heel Womens Summer Sandal shoes Party Casual Nightclub Hot New
- INC International Concepts Kenjay Womens Heels & Pumps Bright Fuchsia 5.5 US
- Leather Women Ankle Boots Riding High Block Heels Zipper Retro Lace Up shoes
This feature tracks the status of each state’s efforts on more than 20 policies aimed at preventing obesity and supporting health.
Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program: Research
The U.S. Department of Agriculture has proposed a rule to tighten SNAP work waivers. A new analysis finds that more than 1 million SNAP participants could be affected, and that the vast majority of them live alone and in deep poverty.
Provisions included in the House Farm Bill would have resulted in up to 1.1 million households that received SNAP benefits in 2017 experiencing an up to $75 cut in their monthly benefit. The provision was not included in the Farm Bill that became law.
An earlier analysis found that about one in 11 households receiving SNAP benefits, roughly 2 million in total, would lose eligibility under certain provisions of the House Farm Bill. These provisions were removed before the bill was signed into law.
Nearly One in Six Young People Has Obesity
October 2018—Nationwide, 15.8 percent of young people ages 10 to 17 have obesity, according to the newest national data. Mississippi has the highest youth obesity rate, at 26.1 percent, while Utah has the lowest, at 8.7 percent.
Deeper Dive on New Youth Data
The Health Resources and Services Administration’s Maternal and Child Health Bureau (HRSA MCHB) funds and directs the annual National Survey of Children’s Health, which includes the new national and state-by-state obesity rate data for youth ages 10 to 17. We asked a few questions to Dr. Lydie Lebrun-Harris, a senior social scientist in the Office of Epidemiology and Research at HRSA MCHB about what the new data tell us.
The State of Childhood Obesity
The federal government monitors obesity rates among children and teens with major surveys that track national trends and state rates. According to NHANES (the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey), 18.5% of youth ages 2 to 19 had obesity in 2015-16, the highest rate ever documented by the survey.
In 2017, 26.1% of high school students met physical activity guidelines, according to the Youth Risk Behavior Surveillance System.
In 2015-16, 18.5% of U.S. children ages 2 to 19 had obesity, according to the National Health and Nutrition Examination Survey.
According to the same survey, in 1999-2000, 13.9% of U.S. children ages 2 to 19 had obesity.
Adult Obesity Rates Rise in Six States, Top 35% in Seven
September 2018 – Adult obesity rates increased in Iowa, Massachusetts, Ohio, Oklahoma, Rhode Island and South Carolina between 2016 and 2017, and remained stable in the rest of states. The adult obesity rate was at or above 35% in seven states and at least 30% in 29 states. West Virginia has the highest adult obesity rate at 38.1% and Colorado has the lowest at 22.6%.
West Virginia has the highest rate of adult diabetes, 15.2%. Diabetes rates rose in Colorado, Kansas, Nebraska, New Jersey and South Dakota between 2016 and 2017.
Eight of the 10 states with the highest rates of hypertension are in the South. West Virginia has the highest rate at 43.5%.
Kentucky has the highest rate of physical inactivity among adults, 34.4%. Nine of the 10 states with the highest rates are in the South.